Sunday, August 23, 2015

Road Trip 3 - The Gypsum Industry

 
 
 
 
This was once the site of  the Albert Manufacturing Company.
This area once held storage bins, loading belts
as well as a shipping pier.
The current Hillsborough Village Office is in what once was the AMC office.
 
"The most important of the minerals mined in Albert County
 was gypsum.
 
By the 1930's Albert County produced eighty percent of the total output of gypsum in the Province.
It was once the largest gypsum operation in Canada.
The gypsum mined in Albert County was considered to be some of the finest quality gypsum in the world.
The Albert Manufacturing Company operated from 1854 until 1980".
 
When it closed in 1980, they took down the buildings and buried
everything except the silos on the marsh
and left us a legacy of leaching toxic waste.
 
Toxic waste, which to some, is 'safe'. 
 
Safe?  I beg to differ, one only needs to
look into the 'chocolate river' to know.
Where are the birds, fish, the wildlife
that should be travelling this river?
 
 
 
 
One day soon, when the tide is out,
I will return to take photos from inside the silos.
When these photos were taken,
I didn't have on the correct footwear to explore. 
 
 
 
 
 
More info and photos can be found on the Albert Co. Museum site.
 


No comments:

Featured Post

Life's Highway

I think it was the sign that so unhinged me at first. The first outward indication that things had changed within. There is...