Friday, July 4, 2014

Gram's 100+ year old Piano has a new home

 
 
come on in,
you can wait with me
 

Gram played for over 40 years as
the Organist and Pianist for the local
Church as well as many weddings and funerals.
She loved to play, she had such long fingers
they danced across the keys.
 
She always had family photos
and loads of piano books,
seems that I was the same.
 
Today, however is different
 Today is the day that
they come pick up my Gram's Piano.
Her bench is number 61
 
Oh wow the number of times you would hear
this fall over and everyone would cringe
for fear it had landed on a tender toe.
 
Oh here they come,
I can feel tears escaping.
So many memories.
 
It has been a very difficult decision
as to what to do with her piano. 
There have been many moving pieces.
Deciding what to do with it,
try to keep it (although I have no room),
have another family member take it,
sell it so many options.
I began communications with
Michelle on May 18th .
With the cost associated with the move,
to have the piano assessed to ensure
it would meet their requirements
(ability to tune and the overall shape etc),
the tunings it would require,
and scheduling of everyone,
this has been a long process. 
 
 
Please be careful
 
They made it look easy they really did.
This 700 lb (give or take) Henry Miller Piano
aged approximately 100 years
now has a new home.
 
I have decided to donate it
in memory of my Gram
Ione Ayles.
 
St. Augustine's
McKee Manor
opened it's doors in January 2012
to low income seniors and
persons with disabilities.
 
I have been told that 'key' player of the Piano will be Ray. 
Ray is currently in Cancer Remission.
I understand that while he has been waiting for the
piano's delivery, he has been 'sent to the garden' in an effort to keep him busy.
 
I am certain that Gram is smiling as she hears her piano
once again 'sing' with the old hymns.
 
I miss you Gram. 


Update: July 5th
Today, I received the following email from Michelle,
President of St. Augustine's McKee Manor:

 
Shelley, 

We are certainly enthralled with our "new" piano. I kept it a secret until it was delivered and set up. Ray was quite pleased when I revealed his piano had been delivered in our common room. He was attracted to the piano like a magnet - and began playing a boogie woogie tune.
 
Once the piano has been cleaned and has undergone two tunings, you better believe it that we'll invite you. This piano has been a godsend and will brighten the lives of many residents.

We can't thank you enough from the bottom of our heart.

 
 


1 comment:

Gwen Buchanan said...

I am positive you have brought joy to his heart and everyone connected. Very satisfying indeed!

Featured Post

Life's Highway

I think it was the sign that so unhinged me at first. The first outward indication that things had changed within. There is...