Thursday, October 2, 2014

A hug from a complete stranger

 
XS Cargo is selling all stock
and going out of Business. 
I, having a gift card,
 headed there after work
to check on the
" deals".
 
After all,
with a balance
worth over $40
I wasn't going to let that go
to waste.
 
I snooped and shopped,
found some
Christmas ideas
for others
and an electric can
opener for me.
 
Then, I headed next door
to Giant Tiger to
snoop.
 
As I was waiting in line
with my purchases,
the lady ahead of me
was putting her things on the
register belt.
 
The cashier asked her to
check the weight of the bag of
things that she had just rung through
as it contained a number of
cans. She also asked if
the lady needed them double-bagged.
 
The lady replied, 'yes thanks I am walking'.
"Walking"? the Cashier said, "really"?
"With all of this and the toilet paper too"?
The lady in front of me answered 'yes'.
 
I spoke up, even before I realized I did, and said
'This will sound most bizarre,  but
if you will come with me to my car
I have one of those folding pull carts.
I believe it's still in the box".
Meanwhile, hoping I am in correct in thinking it's still there.
 
I continued to explain that
I had obtained it through a
charity auction and that she
was more than welcome to
have it as I had yet
to make use of it.
 
The lady turned to the cashier with her mouth open
then turns to me, does a little squeal-dance
right there at the front check out
and hugs me!!!!!!
 
After ringing in my purchases the cashier
continues to wish me a good day
and saying that I was so kind.
Is she really speaking of me??
 
I head out the door
with the lady in front of me
pushing her shopping cart
with bags of things (many of which were cans)
and her family pack toilet tissue package.
 
I get to my car, open the trunk and
there to the back near the back
is the box.
 
She opens it
and is so excited !
'It has so much room,
extra pockets and I can
fold it to make it easy to carry
next time'.  She continues to exclaim.
 
I take the empty box and throw
it back into the trunk.
 
Once she has the instabag opened and filled,
the extra 2 bags that won't fit in it,
and the toilet tissue under her
arm;
she says
oh
"I am Penny by the way,
I call myself Lucky Penny
and today is certainly my lucky day.
You are so kind. Thank you."
 
As I was leaving the parking lot,
I  saw Penny walking across
the street with a large smile on her face.
 
No matter how bad things are or seem,
there is always someone
that could use
 a hand up.
 
 
 
 


1 comment:

Gwen Buchanan said...

Very, very thoughtful, indeed.

Featured Post

Life's Highway

I think it was the sign that so unhinged me at first. The first outward indication that things had changed within. There is...